Hiring some professional contractors or workers for our home improvements or repairs would be quite expensive. That’s why if we only know how to do these home improvements or renovation projects, then it would be better to do it by ourselves. Those professional workers in the home renovation or improvement business have price standards for specific home improvements such as bathroom remodeling or kitchen remodeling. However, it would be somehow advisable to seek professional help like the ones who provide Cabinet Refinishing in Richmond or similar experts in their vicinity to get an uplifted kitchen if you have a major construction or improvement being done for your home. But for some simple and small projects, it would be nicer to be hands-on ourselves.
When it comes to repainting our cabinets in the kitchen while remodeling its whole appearance, then we can simply start doing it on our own. For these minor home improvements, such as repainting kitchen cabinets and remodeling their actual appearance, then the DIY project is a good alternative option. This kind of DIY project provides great benefits to us homeowners, especially in saving our budget for some other expenditures. When doing this kind of project, what we need to do is to collect the materials and specific tools which are needed to be used. We don’t need to spend a lot of money on this project because our effort is already free of charge.
If we want to do some repainting of our kitchen cabinets, then we can simply follow the following steps. These procedures will guide us on how to carry out our project easily and successfully.
- Identify the colors which we want to utilize for our kitchen cabinets – It would be a nice idea to imagine our expected color for our cabinet by using Corel or some similar programs. Just make sure only to select a specific type of color which we want. Thus, we can achieve the satisfaction that we want once the project is already completed.
- Clean the cabinets – There are some instances where the residue of food sticks on the surfaces of a cabinet; so, clean them first before doing the painting. We may also remove the doors of the cabinet if we would like to clean the whole cabinet easily. Removing the doors of the cabinet will allow us to reach the hidden parts of the cabinets.
- Once we’re done cleaning the cabinets, we will come now to one of the most crucial parts of the project – this is to sand our cabinets to achieve the best outcomes. We may spend so much time sanding our cabinet. However, if we will carefully manage this part, then we will find it satisfying, especially if we already see the results.
- Applying the primer to our cabinets after sanding them. This procedure is very important, especially if we want to repaint our cabinets using various colors. There are multiple types of primer that we can find in the marketplace; so, it would be better to pick the right type and color that would be suitable for the cabinets. Of course, we need to use a specific kind of primer based on the type of paint that we have chosen too. However, if we want to utilize an oil-based type of paint, it is good to utilize an oil-based kind of primer for the interior. Then, we may utilize a shellac-based primer, especially when we opt to utilize latex paint. These primers contain a strong odor. That’s why it is advisable to use a mask to cover our nose while applying the primer.
- Painting now the cabinets – This is generally the core of the project. As recommended, it is good to utilize a quality brush for a painting to achieve great results. Apply first thin layers during painting. If needed, we can still apply another coat of paint to the cabinet to achieve a perfect color. But, if we are already satisfied with the color of the paint, then we need not add a second coating onto the cabinet. After this procedure, we may notice that our cabinets will now present a refreshing look again.
With these simple steps on repainting the cabinet in our kitchen, we will also enjoy the DIY improvement projects at home. Thus, we can have a fresh ambiance in our kitchen.